At Paper Culture, we create products infused with modern design and a mission of sustainability. We sell these products through our e-commerce presence, and we’re best known for our stationery, wedding invitations, and holiday cards. Every order plants a tree, and we’ve planted over 550,000 trees to date.
Want to hear about the Paper Culture story from the founder?
We are currently hiring for the following positions:
About the internship
Paper Culture is looking for a graphic design intern who believes in our eco-mission, loves our products, and is passionate about editorial design, typography, and a modern aesthetic. This paid internship provides hands-on experience designing beautiful cards, from stationery to wedding invitations, and everything in between. You’ll support the creative team through ideation, design, and production of cards, as well as collaborate with our team to push our design vision forward against a wide range of other projects. You will be both inspired and challenged by us, and with that, you will learn what it takes to be a successful designer.
- On-site position in Millbrae, California (walking distance from Caltrain, BART, and major bus lines)
- Positions begin in May and June, and last 2–3 months
- Part-time (20–30 hours per week)
- Hourly compensation
- Meets most college credit requirements
What you’ll get to do
- Participate in design and all-team meetings
- Learn about designing for stationery and personalized products
- Learn about ecommerce, marketing, and product launches
- Design up to 50 cards for our collection
- Collaborate on a special project with design teammates
- Be individually mentored by our creative director and a lead designer
- Current graphic design student entering their senior year, or recent graduate
- Born creative problem-solver with great attention to detail
- Ability to quickly translate design direction into design solutions
- Demonstrate high standards in taste by not only creating quality work, but by knowing why it’s great
- Demonstrate ownership on all assigned projects, and follow through on all phases of production
- Remain current on emerging design trends and technology
- Expertise in the Adobe Creative Suite, mainly Adobe Illustrator
- Great understanding of typography, editorial design, or book design
How to apply
Please submit work samples as a PDF or an online portfolio, as well as an updated resume to:
[email protected]. No recruiters.
Our engineering and product organization has its roots in advanced R&D experience at Xerox PARC, Yahoo!, CBS Interactive (CNET), HP, Snapfish, Google, and Microsoft. The team is very startup-savvy and has successfully contributed to the rapid (and profitable!) growth of the company by building highly-scalable and reliable systems that can serve millions of visitors every year.
NOTE: Paper Culture will not be able to sponsor a work visa for this position. Please apply only if you will not require such sponsorship in the future.
We are seeking creative individuals with strong software engineering foundations who want to build reliable and performant software that delights millions of people.
As a software engineer at Paper Culture, you will be part of a small but dynamic engineering team that prides itself on using technology to maximize the efficiency and performance of our systems.
We value learning about the latest and greatest technologies and applying them to our systems wherever applicable. You will be exposed to technologies that span high-reliability web systems, functional programming, image processing, data analysis, design automation, CRM tools, artificial intelligence, cloud deployment, and more.
An integral part of Paper Culture is its mission of fighting climate change, and this will be your chance to make an impact on the well-being of the planet!
- Full-stack development of features for Paper Culture websites as well as internal tools
- Front-end web applications with beautiful design
- RESTful API development
- High performance at every level from database to backend to frontend to network
- Cloud deployments of internal- and external-facing services
- DevOps: general management of infrastructure
- Site monitoring
- Cloud deployments
- Internal servers and network
- Consistent on-time and on-spec (or above!) delivery
- Work seamlessly with internal team members
- Help non-engineering employees of Paper Culture with day-to-day issues arising from use of tools and infrastructure
- 0-3 years of experience (yes, we're willing to consider bright and creative fresh grads!)
- At least a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. We will consider Master's and Ph.D. degrees as well.
- A demonstrable ability to come up with creative engineering solutions independently, and see them through to completion.
- Experience building user-centric modern web applications (ideally with a framework such as Backbone, Angular, React, and the like)
- You must absolutely be good at programming. While we're not terribly picky, you should be comfortable with one or more of the following: Java, Ruby, Scala, Scheme/Racket/Lisp, C/C++
- Anything you don't know, you must be hungry to learn!
- You must be comfortable working with relational databases (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Knowledge of how complex systems are architected for reliability and performance
- Familiarity with Unix-like systems (e.g. macOS, Linux, BSD, or Solaris)
- Ability to work flex hours during evenings and weekends on a rotation basis
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Good communication skills to enable you to work as part of a team
While all candidates should have no problem learning new technologies, it’s a bonus if you have experience with any of the following:
- Play Framework with Scala
- Ruby on Rails
- Building RESTful APIs
- Automated testing and continuous integration
- Mobile application development (especially iOS)
- UI design
- Prior startup experience
- On-site position in Millbrae, CA (walking distance from Caltrain, BART, and major bus lines)
- Position is available immediately
- Evening and weekend flexibility is required
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Incredible personal satisfaction from being a part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team (really, we're not kidding, that's the best part!)
How to apply
Even if you can’t check every box on our list of requirements, we encourage you to apply. We are looking for passionate engineers who pride themselves on their work and are willing to learn new things and apply themselves to meet new challenges.
To apply, please respond with the following items:
- Code portfolio (GitHub or equivalent preferred, or a link to where we can browse code that you are free to share)
- A cover letter as to why you think you will be a great candidate for this job
No recruiters. Again, you must already have work authorization. We will not sponsor a work visa.